Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Crock Pot Chicken Taco Stew

Here is the recipe for the Chicken Taco Stew in the Crock pot.

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=188808

The comments on the web site list some adjustments folks made to the recipe.

Ingredients
    1 onion, chopped
    1 16-oz can black beans
    1 16-oz can kidney beans
    1 16-oz can corn (drained)
    1 8-oz can tomato sauce
    2 14.5-oz cans diced tomatoes w/chilies
    1 1.25-oz packet taco seasoning
    1-2 boneless skinless chicken breasts


Directions

Mix everything together in a slow cooker except chicken. Lay chicken on top and cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker and stir in. This is good eaten with cheese, sour cream, or tortilla chips.

Number of Servings: 14


Personally - I forgot to add the onion and I think I would have tasted better with it. I do not like green chilies, so I used 1 can of diced tomatoes and a larger can of tomato sauce. Next time I will add the 2nd can of diced tomatoes. I used 3 frozen chicken breast (because that's what came in the package) and it made it pretty thick (hence using the additional can of tomatoes in the future)

Verdict: We lost power that evening and it was VERY nice to have a hot cooked supper when I got home. Because of the power issue - we did not eat with sour cream or cheese (did not want to keep the fridge door open). It was very good. Definitely a "keeper" recipe. The first night it was spicy warm and a bit of liquid. The next day, it was less spicy and the liquid had been absorbed by the beans - so it was more of a stew instead of a soup. Still very tasty. I don't like black beans, but was unable to taste them in this recipe. I think using frozen chicken works best for me because I don't get home from work until really late and the chicken is not cooked to death. We ate it with Tostito chips. I think I will fix it for In-Law Night when the weather gets a little cooler. This was SO easy to do. I like the easy/tasty combo! Scott liked it and some co-workers liked it (I gave them a small sample) Let me know if you try it.

There is NO way this would serve 14 people I know! I'm guessing 6 at the most.

I didn't think about taking a picture because at the time, I didn't know it was a "keeper" recipe.

No comments: