Thursday, May 7, 2015

January





Apparently it is a southern tradition to have "greens" and black eyed peas on New Year's Day.  I think pork chops are also acceptable as part of this meal but we were participation in a Daniel Fast so no meat.  As the photo plainly shows - I am not a black eyed pea fan at all!  I'm not a "greens" fan either, but our friends in Mississippi shared this kale and carrot recipe that I could manage to eat.  The other item was sweet potatoes.  Happy New Year!

 


We left our tree up for a while because we were expecting company.  It was really nice to have our tree used to celebrate with three different children. Scott and I have a collection of ornaments that represents each year of our relationship, so we walk down memory lane every time we decorate the tree.  We chose a live one this year because it seemed easier than getting the artificial one from the attic.









The new year also saw us cleaning out , defrosting and reorganizing our freezer.  It's so easy for things to get lost in there and because it not self defrosting and the humidity in the south, it accumulates frost pretty easily. I know it would be much prettier to have matching baskets with labels etc.  And some day I may upgrade to that, but I wanted to try the basket idea for a while first before investing too much money.  I think these baskets either came from the Dollar Tree or I had  them already (and still probably came from the Dollar Tree).  Word to the wise on baskets - if you find one you like at the Dollar Tree - buy all you need or they may all be gone.  I really like the red one on the top shelf as far as size.  It was the first one I tried to see if the plastic would hold up over time. When I went to do the freezer overhaul, they did not have that size in stock any more.  So far the baskets are working great - no complaints.  My complaint is that I fail to plan and while many things go IN the freezer, not a lot comes OUT.  Cooking from the freezer requires planning at least to the point of remembering to lay it out to defrost.



Remember I said we were expecting company?  Well here they are.  Apparently I had the Ipad upside down when I took this and although I had the orientation corrected on the computer, it did not transfer to the blog correctly.  Oh well, I probably look better upside down anyway.  The black around the edges is from my Ipad case.















We decorated cookies















Painted ornaments






Opened presents






Posed in front of the tree









And we celebrated a birthday at O'Charlie's.  This picture struck me funny because several at the table were checking their phones.  Sign of the times????










Not pictured: Target practice with my birthday present from 2 years ago.  First time I shot it

No comments: